The aim is to learn about international language cafe activities, peer learning and teaching, and learn how to take responsibility for leading, planning and coordinating language cafe activities while developing multicultural group work skills.
The language cafe leader prepares the content structure with the participants. The participants draw up their own learning objectives and submit them to the leader at the second meeting at the latest.
A student leads the language cafe as planned. ECTS credits can be achieved as follows:
- The student can receive two ECTS credits (2 ECTS) by leading a language cafe for one semester
|Modes of study
Requirements for receiving study points:
- Participating in the training organised by ISYY for language cafe leaders, max. 1 h
- Planning language cafe activities and sending the implementation plan to SYY and the Language Centre
- Organising the language cafe meetings (20 hours in total)
- In addition, the organiser records presence information, collects learning diaries, reviews them, and delivers the documents to the Language Centre with reasons for granting ECTS credits.
- the student must fill in the ECTS credit application form
- write a learning diary of at least two (2) pages in length. A suitable length for a learning diary is at least two (2) pages, with 1.5 line spacing and 12 pt font.
- 20 hours for planning the meetings, preparing content and communications
- 20 hours of leading language cafe meetings
- 14 hours for reviewing learning diaries and writing one’s own learning diary
- The Student Union coordinates the ECTS credit application process for leading language cafe activities.
- The ECTS credit application process will be carried out from January to February for the autumn semester and from May to June for the spring semester
NOTE! The application for ECTS credits, i.e., posting and submitting assignments, is carried out via the Moodle platform.
The training organised by the Student Union and the related materials and the content designed by the student, as well as independent search for information and materials, if necessary.
The scale used in the evaluation is pass-fail. The minimum requirement for a passing grade is that the required studies have been completed by the given deadlines and that the learning diary demonstrates learning in accordance with the goals of the course.
The international staff of the Student Union coordinates the ECTS credit application process. The training is organised by the Student Union staff and the elected officials.
The ECTS credit application periods for each semester are from January to February and from May to June.
Offered to the students of the University of Eastern Finland that have led language cafe activities.
ECTS credits, language cafe activities, application form, learning diary, training arranged by the Student Union, Moodle.
Secretary for International Affairs Heli Siponen, kv.joensuu(at)isyy.fi, +358 50 3469159 (Joensuu), Coordinator of International Affairs and Administration Annika Rajasalo, kv.kuopio(at)isyy.fi, +358 44 576 8413 (Kuopio)